Wednesday 29 May 2013

Citizenship Ceremonies

It was an absolute pleasure for me to attend my first citizenship ceremony as a Mayor this morning.  I was joined by Cllr Asim Mahmood, Junior Cabinet Member for Human Resources and Organisational Development.   Becoming a British citizen is a public celebration and I am always pleased to share in this joyous occasion.  All new citizens at Waltham Forest are encouraged to feel a sense of belonging to the wider community. My role is to give an opening speech.
Me and Cllr Mahmood
  
After the citizens make their Oath or Affirmation of Allegiance to the Crown where they promise to be a good citizen, I present each citizen with a certificate.  Afterwards there is the opportunity for photos to be taken with me.  I look forward to attending many more of these ceremonies during my Mayoral year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment