Friday 24 May 2013

New Mayor For Waltham Forest

It is a great honour to be elected Mayor for the London Borough of Waltham Forest last night at the Annual Council Meeting. I served the last year as the Deputy Mayor and had many wonderful experiences. I also had the privilege of attending many exciting events. I can only imagine this will increase now that I am taking on the role of Mayor. I've seen how quickly the Mayor’s diary can fill up with events and want to get to as many as possible, all over the Borough – please get in touch!

What a tremendous evening the Mayor Making was. It was so great to have all my friends and family attend and show their support, along with the council members and guests. Also, I would like to mention that Hazoor Muffakir-e-Islam will be my spiritual guide throughout my year as Mayor. I would like to thank Cllr Clare Coghill for her very kind nomination and Cllr Khevyn Limbajee for seconding Cllr Coghill’s nomination.

As Mayor, I hope to represent all of our residents and be a worthy first citizen of our borough. I want to do you all proud & work to the best of my ability.

I have also announced a sponsorship scheme called 'Pounds4Pounds'. I will be encouraging people to sponsor me for every pound I lose. If you wish to sponsor me, please e-mail mayor@walthamforest.gov.uk and request a 'Pounds4Pounds' sponsorship form. A website is currently under way to allow you to make online donations and I will let you know as soon as it is up and running. If anyone wishes to join me in this process of losing weight, please feel free to do so – and let me know! 

My name has been added to the list of Mayors in Council Chamber
The money raised from the ‘Pounds4Pounds’ scheme will then be donated to two amazing causes; firstly, the Young People’s Programme at the William Morris Gallery and secondly, Gastroenterology and Respiratory Unit at Whipps Cross Hospital.

During my year as Mayor, to support me I have assigned the role of Mayoress to my beautiful wife, Mrs Saika Ali. I have also appointed my brothers, Mr Hather Ali & Mr Umar Ali as my Consorts.

As well as this blog, there will be regular up-dates on mine and the borough’s progress throughout the year published on Twitter @LBWFDemocracy.

I'm very pleased to be elected as the youngest Mayor to serve a full term in this great borough. I hope to follow in the steps of the outgoing Mayor, Cllr Richard Sweden. He has done a brilliant job this last year and has been a huge success. I know I have big boots to fill, but I hope to do so.


No comments:

Post a Comment