Tuesday 10 September 2013

More Memorable Events

I've had another busy few days - and what a mix of engagements there has been. After the Bag-athon (see previous post) on Thursday morning, I was delighted to be able to welcome a new vicar to the Borough. The Rev'd James Waddell has become vicar of the Cornerstone (the Parish of St Catherine and St Paul) in Leyton. I wish him every success in his new role and look forward to working with him in the months ahead.

On Friday, I was invited to a reception to honour the achievements of Basir Kazmi MBE. Mr Kazmi is a much-published poet who has had his services to literature recognised by Buckingham Palace.
 
Leytonstone Big Weekender - Lion-el
Saturday was a particularly busy day. At the Leytonstone Big Weekender, I teamed up with a rather eye-catching character called Lion-el who helped me collect some cash for my charity appeal. I'm grateful to everyone who contributed, and especially grateful to Lion-el for coping with a warm day and all that fur. As I never saw Lion-el and Cllr Paul Braham together at the same time, I have a sneaking suspicion I know who was behind the mask. Joking aside, thank you Paul for all your hard work. After that, I made my way to Beaumont Road for 'Beaumont Day'. Organised by London and Quadrant Housing Association, which is celebrating its 50th anniversary, Beaumont Day gives residents a chance to enjoy a street party and spend some time with their neighbours. I certainly enjoyed my visit, so a big thank you to everyone who worked so hard to make a success of the day.
With Mr Murad Saeed

My last engagement on Saturday saw me meet with Mr Murad Saeed, the youngest ever person to be elected to Pakistan's National Assembly. As I said to him, as young people in office, we are duty-bound to show other young people that they can and should play a part in the life of their community.

On Sunday I was back on the streets – this time at a party with residents from Randolph Road and Wingfield Road in Walthamstow Village. Last year, Wingfield Road residents did a community project for the 2012 E17 Art Trail, and for 2013 they kept the impetus going in their street and extended it to Randolph Road as well. Events like this take a lot of organising, but the benefits are worth it when people come together and strengthen their neighbourhood spirit. I certainly enjoyed being there.

With Rahat Fateh Ali Khan
Yesterday I was part of City Year's 4th anniversary celebration. City Year asks young people to commit to a year of service, working with school children as mentors, role models and coaches. They run breakfast clubs, organise after-school clubs and help pupils with extra support with maths and English. With that experience and with additional training provided by City Year, the volunteers (called corps members) improve their own career prospects. Lammas School and Sports College has had 11 corps members helping them. It’s all very impressive.

After that, I went on to the House of Lords for a reception with Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, the Qawwali singer. Qawwali is the devotional music of the Sufis (Muslim mystics) and Rahat Fateh Ali Khan trained with his famous uncle Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan from an early age. His collaborations with a range of artists, particularly in the USA, have meant that Qawwali has been introduced to a much wider audience and his current UK tour has been a huge success. I felt very privileged to meet with him.




No comments:

Post a Comment